Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 8: Crabs?


Flower, originally uploaded by tjkmfk.

Mondays are the days I attempt to work in the yard. Last week I mowed this week I clipped the bushes in the corner that were getting too big to see down the street when you come to the corner by my house.
I gave these crabs to my son and said stick them in the garden somewhere they are cute, I, of course, didn't think I had to tell him to put them in different places and so they are together. I guess they are friends and couldn't bear to be separated.
Actually this morning as I worked and tried to get the child to do something, I started thinking about how different children are now from when I was a child. My son is 5 almost 6. When I was his age I had my own hoe and worked in the garden alongside the adults. Of course, times were different then, if we didn't have a good garden we didn't eat. We often would find food growing wild and gather it : muskadines, plums, blackberries and even polk salad. My father still gardens and he'll be 70 this year.
By the way, the flowers in the picture are black-eyed susans… I didn't plant them they just came up on their own. I grew up seeing them grow wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment